Sunday, June 5, 2011

First trip to the dentist!

Oliver did absolutely amazing at his first dentist appointment! I called on Thursday to set something up for, say, September, but they just happened to have an appointment the next morning at 9:30 am. I decided just to go for it. Jon and I both had dentist appointments on Thursday, so I figured it would be easy if we were all on the same schedule, and I thought maybe since we had just gone and talked about it, he would be excited about going. When I got him up from his nap, I asked him if he wanted to go to the dentist like Mommy and Daddy had. He replied, "no, I brush my teeth in the bathroom". Smart kid. We kept talking about how the dentist would brush his teeth and count his teeth, and he proceeded to get more excited about it as the day went on.


Friday morning we headed over to Dr. Phillips office and first met with Penny, the dental assistant, to go over our paperwork. Oliver got a new toothbrush, but was hesitant to enter the room, so he just stood in the doorway. We then went and got his picture taken for his chart. He would not look at the camera, or show his teeth!



Then it was time for the big appointment. I was so nervous! It took a little coaxing to get him into the chair, but the dental hygienist was AMAZING. She explained everything before she did it, and was able to polish his teeth with the little spinning thing, floss his teeth, examine his teeth, and brush his teeth. Then Dr. Phillips came in and examined all of his teeth with the mirror and pointy thing. Ollie did great! He followed all of her directions, sticking his tongue out when she asked, and saying aahhh when he was supposed to. The hygienist then did a fluoride treatment while Dr. Phillips and I talked a bit.


She said that we were doing an amazing job with his teeth, and they look great! Since Oliver pretty much brushes his own teeth, this was great to hear. She said that his teeth were perfectly spaced, and he only had minimal movement from his pacifier. She also told me how he was such a well-behaved two year old, and she was amazed at how great he did. This is the point where I got teary eyed. I was so proud of him! Let's hope he does just as well when we go back in December!

No comments:

Post a Comment