Thursday, February 3, 2011

Safety first, a cautionary tale.

Thursday I had the scare of my life! Oliver was up in his room, and was supposed to be napping. I could hear him running around his room, and then all of the sudden heard his drawers opening and slamming. I thought it was a little weird, because he has never played in his dresser before, but figured he wasn't hurting anything. I was about to go up and put him back to bed when I heard a huge crash and crying. I put Eva down and sprinted up the steps to see what had happened, even though in my mind I already knew and was preparing for the worst. I was shaking so hard when I opened his door and saw his dresser flat on the floor. Luckily, his guardian angels were watching over him, because he was sitting in front of it without so much as a scratch. He was crying because he was scared. I started crying too, and called Jon at work immediately to tell him what had happened. We're not sure if he was climbing his dresser, causing it to tip, or what he did to knock it down; but are so thankful that he is alright. I worked in an ER for 10 years, I know what can happen... Moral of the story is: make sure to tether dressers/bookcases/any furniture that may fall down; better safe than sorry!

Friday night when Grandma was babysitting, she got some of the story out of Ollie. His humidifier that usually sits on top of his dresser is now sitting in the bathroom. He started pressing the buttons on it, and said "it's broken, Oliver fix it". They then went into his room and he said "drawers open, then big boom! It's broken." We think that he was trying to climb up and turn the humidifier on, and he knocked the dresser down. Needless to say, he didn't nap in his room for the rest of the week; and as soon as the weekend came, we bolted both of his dressers into the wall.

Sleeping beauties napping in my bed. This was Friday; no naps in Ollie's room until the dressers are stable!

No comments:

Post a Comment